Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/2440/119053
Citations
Scopus Web of Science® Altmetric
?
?
Full metadata record
DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorShiferaw, B.en
dc.contributor.authorGelaw, B.en
dc.contributor.authorAssefa, A.en
dc.contributor.authorAssefa, Y.en
dc.contributor.authorAddis, Z.en
dc.date.issued2015en
dc.identifier.citationBMC Ophthalmology, 2015; 15(1):103-1-103-8en
dc.identifier.issn1471-2415en
dc.identifier.issn1471-2415en
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/2440/119053-
dc.description.abstractBackground: Bacteria are major cause of ocular infections and possible loss of vision. The emergence of antimicrobial resistant bacteria increases the risk of treatment failure with potentially serious consequences. The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of bacterial isolates and their antimicrobial susceptibility pattern among patients with external ocular infections. Methods: A cross sectional study was conducted among 160 patients with external ocular infections at Borumeda hospital, Northeast Ethiopia. Socio-demographic and clinical data were collected using structured questionnaire. External ocular specimens were collected using sterile swabs and inoculated on MacConkey agar, Chocolate agar and Blood agar culture Medias. Presumptive isolates were further identified by a series of biochemical tests. The antimicrobial susceptibility patterns of the isolates were determined by disk diffusion method. Result: The overall prevalence of bacterial pathogens among external ocular samples was 59.4 %. The majority of the isolates (93.7 %; 89/95) were Gram positive and the other 6.3 % (6/95) Gram negative bacteria. The proportion of coagulase negative Staphylococci among the Gram positive bacterial isolates was 53.7 % (n = 51/95). All Gram positive isolates were susceptible for vancomycin but 67.4 % (n = 60/95) of them were resistant against amoxicillin. Moreover, drug resistance to tetracycline, norfloxacylin, ceftriaxone and ciprofloxacin were observed among Gram negative bacteria isolates. Conclusion: The prevalence of bacterial pathogens among external ocular samples was high and the predominant isolate was coagulase negative Staphylococci. Exceptionally high amoxicillin resistance was observed among Gram positive bacterial isolates that may dictate to conduct drug susceptibility test routinely.en
dc.description.statementofresponsibilityBirtukan Shiferaw, Baye GelawEmail author, Abate Assefa, Yared Assefa and Zelalem Addisen
dc.language.isoenen
dc.publisherBioMed Centralen
dc.rights© Shiferaw et al. 2015. Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made. The Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication waiver (http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/) applies to the data made available in this article, unless otherwise stated.en
dc.subjectBacterial isolate; external ocular infections; drug susceptibility patternen
dc.titleBacterial isolates and their antimicrobial susceptibility pattern among patients with external ocular infections at Borumeda hospital, Northeast Ethiopiaen
dc.typeJournal articleen
dc.identifier.rmid0030088695en
dc.identifier.doi10.1186/s12886-015-0078-zen
dc.identifier.pubid421527-
pubs.library.collectionOpthalmology & Visual Sciences publicationsen
pubs.library.teamDS10en
pubs.verification-statusVerifieden
pubs.publication-statusPublisheden
dc.identifier.orcidAddis, Z. [0000-0002-3705-4526]en
Appears in Collections:Opthalmology & Visual Sciences publications

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
hdl_119053.pdfPublished version473.09 kBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.